Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Get out the Vote

If you are new to Cheese Country, you might be wondering where you should go to vote next week. Visit https://vpa.wi.gov/ to check your registration and to enter your address to find out the location of your polling station. You can also view sample ballots and find out all the current electoral districts and office holders for your location.

Wisconsin is a very easy state to register to vote in, so even if you have not registered yet, do not worry. You can register at the polling station on Election Day, so do not worry about having to make two trips. What do you need to register in Wisconsin? If you are not registered to vote, you will need:

1) A Wisconsin driver’s license if you have one, or (if you do not) the last four digits of your Social Security number; and
2) Proof of residence, including your full name and current address, such as one of the following:

• A Wisconsin driver’s license or state-issued ID card;
• A current residential lease;
• Any utility bill (online cell-phone bill print-outs count!) from the past 90 days;
• A bank statement;
• A paycheck;
• A property tax bill from either 2007 or 2008;
• Any document issued by a unit of government [for students attending a UW school, this includes any letter sent to students by the school].
• Student photo ID (If you live in a university-owned dorm, it doesn't need your address)

If you have no proof of residence, you can still register and vote if you bring an eligible voter from your municipality who shows proof of residence and affirms you live at your address.

It does not matter who your candidate of choice is in the many national, state and local elections happening next Tuesday. What matters is that you get out and vote!

No comments: